[CentOS] Looking for some good alternatives for W*nd*ws programs

Tue Apr 19 09:37:55 UTC 2005
Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl>

Hi,

Well, the installation of the dual W*nd*ws 2000 and CentOS boot worked
swell. I have followed the instructions regarding first setting up Win2K
on a separate drive, then making that the slave drive, and setting up
CentOS on the second drive. After performing the Grub patch, it now
works fine! :)

I already like CentOS a lot, and I've got most of the important things
set-up (i.e. Firefox, Thunderbird, Gaim, Openoffice, webserver software,
...), so I'm almost ready to roll.

However... There are a few W*nd*ws programs which I actually like, and
for which I'd like to get good Linux alternatives. I hope someone can
make some good suggestions for that...

In particular, I'm looking for good substitutes for the following
W*nd*ws software:

- Ultraedit (!!! very important !!!) - vi is cool for terminal stuff,
but for programming etc. I prefer Ultraedit (column mode, multiple
windows, replace in files, regular expressions, etc.).

- Jasc Paint Shop Pro, or Adobe Photoshop - often The Gimp is mentioned,
but is it really as powerful? I particularly like PSP (as I think it's
more intuitive than PS), but over here at work we also use PS a lot... I
fear this may be one of the very few remaining reasons to keep W*nd*ws
at all on the 2nd drive...:(

- Flash MX (7.20). I fear there is no Linux variant of this one, but I'm
asking just in case...

Cheers!
Olafo