[CentOS] CentOS 4 and OpenOffice

Sat Apr 30 13:12:55 UTC 2005
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

Robert wrote:

> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 10:06 -0500, Robert wrote:
>>> Robert wrote:
>>>> Has anyone here replaced the openoffice.org packages with those 
>>>> that were distributed with FC3?  It's either that for me or simply 
>>>> scrapping CentOS in favor of FC3 (or even FC1).  I'm very surprised 
>>>> that I can find no reports regarding the impossibility of 
>>>> formatting multi-page spreadsheets to print properly.
>>> Answering my own question....
>>> Removing (rpm -e)
>>> openoffice.org-kde-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> openoffice.org-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> openoffice.org-libs-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> and installing
>>> openoffice.org-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> openoffice.org-kde-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> openoffice.org-libs-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> from the FC3 CDs (specifically CD 1,2 and 4) restored my ability to 
>>> print spreadsheets properly.  This was both on a test box, printing 
>>> across the network and on the machine I'm using at this moment. The 
>>> fact that both machines exhibited the same behavior using the .EL4 
>>> version would seem to rule out some goofy install problem.  The fact 
>>> that relief was instant following the installation of the older 
>>> files would seem to rule out a "senior moment" on my part -- which 
>>> was an open question in my mind for some time.
>>> So, as far as usability, this is a case of "all's well that ends".  
>>> Yet, it would be interesting to know if the OpenOffice.org 
>>> developers let such a glaring bug escape, if the bug was a RedHat 
>>> enhancement, if perhaps there was some unheralded error in the 
>>> rebuild process or maybe a download error here.
>> Robert,
>> The latest version of OOo for CentOS-4 (openoffice.org-1.1.2-22.6.EL4)
>> spreadsheet prints fine for me ... not sure exactly what the error you
>> had was.
> 1. There is no excuse for the tone of my original post.
> 2. Looks like openoffice.org.i386-1.1.2-24.6.0.EL4  is available now. 
> I'll try it either this evening or tomorrow. It's no big deal, now 
> that I know the way back.
> 3. I'll attempt to explain the original complaint. I have a 
> spreadsheet that is 11 columns x 380 rows. The last time I printed it 
> was several months ago and it required 8 pages. Whenever I print any 
> spreadsheet I always do a File -> Page Preview first, then flip 
> through the pages to see that I haven't done something stupid like 
> failing to set the print area to include the growth records and to 
> make any adjustment to bottom margin needed to avoid goofy stuff like 
> a page with only 1 line.
> My first clue that something was different came when there was no page 
> flippin' to be done ' cause I was looking at "page 1 of 1".  It was 
> almost like OOo was setup to use roll paper -- which I haven't seen 
> some of in quite a while. Clicking the "Page Format" button and 
> running through the several tabs revealed nothing of interest. In the 
> "Sheet" tab, "Scale" section, the "Reduce/Enlarge printout" bullet was 
> ticked and the reduction was set to something like 54%.  Instead of 
> reducing the number of sheets indicated from 9 to 5, it just 
> considered the whole thing a single sheet.
> I tried ticking the "Fit printout on number of pages" bullet with 
> limited success. I didn't print the whole spreadsheet using that 
> setting but I have a first sheet here with a partial row at the bottom.
> 4. I still have no earthly idea what happened. I just checked my CDs 
> (specifically, #2) and found that the version in question is on the 
> CD.  I KNOW I used Bittorrent to download the isos. I can't swear that 
> I checked the MD5 sums before burning.
> I WILL investigate further.
> Thanks for the response!

I have now reinstalled the original, failing ver 1.1.2-18.6.EL4 from the 
CDs. I went through the same exercise of checking page options except 
that I took a series of screenshots (available but not attached) to 
illustrate my point. Satisfied that I had not been mistaken earlier, I 
once more removed version 1.1.2-18.6.EL4 and let yum install ver 
1.1.2-24.6.0.EL4, which works like a champ.
Against the chance that I had a bad download originally, I ran md5sum 
against the OOo files:
[root at mavis /]# md5sum /media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/openoffice*
[root at mavis /]#