[CentOS] CentOS 4 and OpenOffice

Sat Apr 30 13:12:55 UTC 2005
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

Robert wrote:

> Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> Answering my own question....
>>> Removing (rpm -e)
>>> openoffice.org-kde-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> openoffice.org-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> openoffice.org-libs-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
>>> and installing
>>> openoffice.org-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> openoffice.org-kde-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> openoffice.org-libs-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
>>> from the FC3 CDs (specifically CD 1,2 and 4) restored my ability to
>>> print spreadsheets properly.  This was both on a test box, printing
>>> across the network and on the machine I'm using at this moment. The
>>> fact that both machines exhibited the same behavior using the .EL4
>>> version would seem to rule out some goofy install problem.  The fact
>>> that relief was instant following the installation of the older
>>> files would seem to rule out a "senior moment" on my part -- which
>>> was an open question in my mind for some time.
>>> So, as far as usability, this is a case of "all's well that ends".
>>> Yet, it would be interesting to know if the OpenOffice.org
>>> developers let such a glaring bug escape, if the bug was a RedHat
>>> enhancement, if perhaps there was some unheralded error in the
>>> rebuild process or maybe a download error here.
>>>

>> Robert,
>>
>> The latest version of OOo for CentOS-4 (openoffice.org-1.1.2-22.6.EL4)
>> spreadsheet prints fine for me ... not sure exactly what the error you
>> had was.
>>

> 1. There is no excuse for the tone of my original post.
> 2. Looks like openoffice.org.i386-1.1.2-24.6.0.EL4  is available now.
> I'll try it either this evening or tomorrow. It's no big deal, now
> that I know the way back.
>
> 3. I'll attempt to explain the original complaint. I have a
> spreadsheet that is 11 columns x 380 rows. The last time I printed it
> was several months ago and it required 8 pages. Whenever I print any
> spreadsheet I always do a File -> Page Preview first, then flip
> through the pages to see that I haven't done something stupid like
> failing to set the print area to include the growth records and to
> make any adjustment to bottom margin needed to avoid goofy stuff like
> a page with only 1 line.
> My first clue that something was different came when there was no page
> flippin' to be done ' cause I was looking at "page 1 of 1".  It was
> almost like OOo was setup to use roll paper -- which I haven't seen
> some of in quite a while. Clicking the "Page Format" button and
> running through the several tabs revealed nothing of interest. In the
> "Sheet" tab, "Scale" section, the "Reduce/Enlarge printout" bullet was
> ticked and the reduction was set to something like 54%.  Instead of
> reducing the number of sheets indicated from 9 to 5, it just
> considered the whole thing a single sheet.
> I tried ticking the "Fit printout on number of pages" bullet with
> limited success. I didn't print the whole spreadsheet using that
> setting but I have a first sheet here with a partial row at the bottom.
>
> 4. I still have no earthly idea what happened. I just checked my CDs
> (specifically, #2) and found that the version in question is on the
> CD.  I KNOW I used Bittorrent to download the isos. I can't swear that
> I checked the MD5 sums before burning.
>
> I WILL investigate further.
>
> Thanks for the response!

I have now reinstalled the original, failing ver 1.1.2-18.6.EL4 from the
CDs. I went through the same exercise of checking page options except
that I took a series of screenshots (available but not attached) to
illustrate my point. Satisfied that I had not been mistaken earlier, I
once more removed version 1.1.2-18.6.EL4 and let yum install ver
1.1.2-24.6.0.EL4, which works like a champ.
Against the chance that I had a bad download originally, I ran md5sum
against the OOo files:
[root at mavis /]# md5sum /media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/openoffice*
09eee4954473b4936a47cb52b1e49a78
/media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/openoffice.org-1.1.2-18.6.EL4.i386.rpm
b370a32e70768432c6b63e4a4a9883a8
/media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-18.6.EL4.i386.rpm
880ad61bcacba260fdcb342dbe09db24
/media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/openoffice.org-kde-1.1.2-18.6.EL4.i386.rpm
e90f728f864ad368f65a8517ebf39458
/media/cdrom/CentOS/RPMS/openoffice.org-libs-1.1.2-18.6.EL4.i386.rpm
[root at mavis /]#