[CentOS] VSFTP/MySQL

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Tue Aug 2 21:02:36 UTC 2005

Just to throw out another option, consider looking at ProFTPd instead of
VSFTPd; it supports native (as long as you compile it in) MySQL
authentication and is completely configurable as to which tables and
fields you can query for the login data. I can provide some quickie
examples if you need.

I have for years ditched whatever FTP daemon RedHat has offered and gone
right to ProFTPd on every server that needs FTP, and have never been
dissappointed.

hth,
-te

Franki wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just a quick question, I've been slowly moving all my user services to
> mysql backend, I realise it's probably not as good a choice as LDAP, but
> you tend to stick with what you know.
>
> To that end I want to setup both Apache and VSFTP to use mysql db for
> virtual users. Basically I want to create virtual users that are locked
> into their own home dir and have apache use mysql to work out it's
> virtual hosts.
>
> I can probably work out apache by myself as I've done similiar things
> before, but VSFTP seems to be fairly lax in the online documentation
> aspects so I'd appreciate any tips from the gurus.
>
> regards
>
> Franki

Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com