[CentOS] What's the Linux equivelant of an exe file?

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Aug 4 19:41:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> One might think so, but it was seven years ago since I was running
> SoftImage on Irix machines. Except for a brief experiment with running
> Linux about 6 years ago, I haven't touched a UNIX/IRIX/Linux machine
> since, and the commands are long since forgotten. I still remember basic
> concepts, like the differences between a super user and regular user,
> and file permissions and those kinds of general principles. But specific
> commands I can't remember at all.

The 'file' command will tell you whether a file is a shell script,
compiled executable, etc by interpreting the 'file magic' that Bryan
mentioned.  The OO installed 'usually' creates an 'Office' group on the
start button of your window manager.  File associations (between an
extension and a program) are much looser than in Windows land, being
enforced only by convention on the command line, and by individual
preferences within graphical file browsers.