[CentOS] Re: KDE Upgrade from 3.3.1 to 3.4.2

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sun Aug 7 16:29:28 UTC 2005

duffmckagan wrote:
> I have downloaded the required KDE files (version 3.4.2)(I know what
> all files are required), and tried to simply upgrade using the rpm
> -Uvh command.
> But i began getting dependency problems.
> Now, what I did was searched google like a mad buffalo :P to find that
> missing files, and was successful to a great extent.
> But the weird thing was I got a few conflicts, which I can't around with.
> Please guide me what needs to be done.
>
> Here is the excerpt from the failure of dependency list . (the
> following are just the conflicts that are at fault.
>  kdeaddons < 0:3.3.90 conflicts with kdelibs-3.4.2-1.1.el4.kde.i386
> kdeartwork < 0:3.3.90 conflicts with kdelibs-3.4.2-1.1.el4.kde.i386
> kdebase < 6:3.3.90 conflicts with kdelibs-3.4.2-1.1.el4.kde.i386

> Hope you can help.

1.  Use apt or yum.  It's easier, really.
2.  The conflicts lines are pretty self-explanatory (IMO).  You need to
also upgrade kdeaddons kdeartwork kdebase (at the same time) if you're
going to manually try to upgrade kdelibs.  You can alternatively,
rpm -e kdeaddons kdeartwork kdebase
to avoid the conflict, and the install/upgrade them later.

-- Rex