[CentOS] Re: KDE Upgrade from 3.3.1 to 3.4.2

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Aug 8 16:52:53 UTC 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 06:58, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> But, there are so many dependency changes and so many replacement files,
> including many things that are not KDE, that I would not recommend
> upgrading to either KDE 3.4 (or Gnome 2.10 for that matter) to a normal
> user.  This is especially true if you want the stability of an
> enterprise OS.

I use the kde-redhat repo for EL4 on my CentOS machines.  See
kde-redhat.sourceforge.net for more information.  I then add the kde-redhat
repo to both yum and apt sections (apt so that I can get synaptic for nice
gui installs), and it just works.  Yes, there are a lot of things changed in
the upgrade, but in my case I really have no alternative, since I need the
KDE 3.4 kstars for here.  Much of the core system is not touched by the
upgrade; core meaning glibc and kernel, and associated non-GUI things.  As I
don't use GNOME at all, the stuff changed there for KDE 3.4 to work doesn't
bother me.

The KDE 3.4 repo is an alternative repo, for sure, and replaces things, for
sure, and, if I were running real RHEL4 might cause support issues, sure, but
when I basically have an unsupported OS anyway with CentOS I can deal with
the little bit of extra things I may need to deal with by using third-party
repos like KDE-Redhat.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology