[CentOS] Firefox, Flash and Java on CentOS 4.1 x86-64

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Thu Aug 11 03:05:28 UTC 2005

Karl S. Katzke wrote:

> First of all, I just want to say *again* how happy I am with CentOS.
> Across our boxes and our clients boxes, we're running it on more than
> 20 machines at the moment and it's by far the most painless OS to
> administer in detail that I've ever used. (Of course, I'm an old Slak
> hat, but ...) Thanks so much to the community and the maintainers.
>
> We've recently run into a problem with a dual-opteron system that is
> running LTSP and serving up X and Firefox to a whole bunch of diskless
> clients. We're using the x86-64 build of CentOS, with the appropriate
> Firefox package. The client users have all been asking for Flash,
> since many websites are unusable without Flash these days ... but
> there's no 64-bit build of the Flash plugin. (Thanks, Macromedia! You
> suck!)
>
> What's the best way to provide Flash (and maybe Java?) with Firefox on
> this server box? How big will the performance hit be from running
> non-64 bit packages? Any specific tips & hints?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Karl Katzke

You could run the 32-bit Firefox & 32-bit plugins, they are *supposed*
to work seamlessly under the x86_64 OS. YMMV & all that. I have seen
much talk about this on the SuSE AMD64 list, and this recommendation has
floated out more than once.

--
	William A. Mahaffey III