[CentOS] cyrus-imapd - unable to connect to POP3

Mike Zanker mike at zanker.org
Sat Aug 13 11:52:24 UTC 2005

On 13/8/05 11:41, Arun K. Khan wrote:

> Looked through the man pages for imapd.conf but I am not sure which
> option I need to set.  I experimented with
> "partition-default: /var/spool/mail" - no luck.

Cyrus is primarily an IMAP server and it stores mail in it's own
database - it does NOT use /var/spool/mail. You have to create the
correct folder structure in /var/spool/imap and /var/lib/imap then
create the users (mailboxes) with cyradm.

You will also need to arrange for your MTA to deliver mail to these
mailboxes using LMTP.

It's all explained in the documentation which comes with cyrus
(/usr/share/doc/cyrus-imapd-2.2.12/ under CentOS 4).

If you just want simple POP3 access to /var/spool/mail then use dovecot.

Mike.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com