[CentOS] SD Card Reader not being recognized

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 14 16:12:29 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I missed that suggestion when it first came around. I did that... and
> it works!! Nice.
>
> Now, the thing is I can access the SD Card by browsing for it in
> Konquerer (Is that what the file explorer is called in KDE?). But it
> doesn't come up on the desktop. To make it show up on the desktop
> automatically when I put a card in, is there a setting I can do for that?
>
> Which actually brings me to a related question. In KDE, when I log in,
> I have my two DVD drives already on the desktop (as disk icons),
> regardless of whether or not there are disks in the drive. Is there a
> way I can have them not be there, and only appear on the desktop when
> I put in a disc?
>
> Dave

Thanks to all involved in this thread for answering my questions a week
before I asked.

As far as icons on the desktop...
When I was doing battle with my Lexar multi-card reader I tried it on
another box I have, running FC4 -- kernel  2.6.12-1.1398_FC4 and KDE
3.4.0-6 Red Hat. KDE did, indeed, display an icon when the reader was
connected and removed the icon when the reader was unplugged.

I do not get the icon on this CentOS machine, running kernel 2.6.9-11.EL
and KDE 3.3.1-3.10 Red Hat. Personally, I don't care 'cause I'm gonna
write a script to find the reader, mount it, mv the images to hard drive
and umount when finished.

--
It is Sun Aug 14 11:10:01 CDT 2005 ratnow. The next Next-Step will
begin in 101999 seconds at 3:30 P.M. on Monday 8/15/2005