[CentOS] Re: RedHat changes to remove file system support

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:55:37 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/05, Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did you even UAGDSE before posting this?
> >
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=reiserfs+centos
>
> Of course (this is standard procedure now :).
>
> CentOS plus contains the kernel and rpm to support other journaling
> file systems such as ReiserFS and XFS, however, this is not integrated
> into kickstart which means one would have to completely install the
> system first then add the kernel and tools after the system has come
> up (this requires two reboots: (1) boot the system after kickstart (2)
> install the new kernel to support other ReiserFS/XFS then reboot
> before a file system can be created using the newly supported file
> system.
>
> I'm looking for the changes that RedHat did to remove support of
> non-ext3 file systems.  I can re-add the support myself, but I'm just
> wondering if anyone has done it or has knowledge as to what exactly
> RedHat did to remove support of XFS/ReiserFS (especially since these
> are supported by Fedora which RHEL is based on).
>
> The more interesting question is, could the Fedora Anaconda code
> simply replace the RHEL Anaconda code?

Great - now your question is fully flushed out and people are more
likely to be able to help you.  Before it wasn't clear what you were
looking for, especially since this support was recently added to the
CentosPLUS kernel (certainly not to me and probably noone else so
noone has answered your question).  I'm not trying to be flip, but a
question as broad as you stated it is really not answerable unless
someone is psychic and can read your mind :)

And yes, UAGDSE - Use A God Damned Search Engine.

Greg