[CentOS] CentOS 4.1 x86_64 compiler segfaults

Remco Barendse redhat at barendse.to
Tue Aug 16 09:05:51 UTC 2005

>> From experience i'd say few things might be the problem
>
> a) incompatible memory or too tight timings for dual channel to work
> properly (if it's dual-channel). I for example have to reduce timing on
> one dual-core Athlon64 from 1T to 2T or the box isn't stable even with
> lowered (manually) DDR-speeds. Not even with BH-5 chips.
>
> b) CPU itself is overheating which makes gcc internal checking fail.
> This should manifest itself differently tho (the signal 11 syndfrome).
>
> I do remember having those segfaults with too tight memory timings
> sometimes. Usually the box just hard locked every time in less than
> hour. The 1GB setup (2x512MB) was fine with any timing if not using
> dual-channel, but dual-channel just didn't work with default timings.
> The mobo here is DFI LanParty (something PCI-E) which has been happy
> with 4x512MB dual-sided DDR-400 (should be reduced to 333 tho) after
> diabling the 1T timings.
>
> I can't say that this is the problem, but from the symptoms i'd pretty
> much say it is.

Hi Pasi!

Nice hearing you again :)

Thanks for the input. This box has been running Centos 3.5 for over a year
now without any stability problems (running plain vanilla kernel 2.6).
It's a single core Athlon64.

I guess that would pretty much rule out a hardware problem? I'll try to
reduce the timings anyway.

Cheers!
Remco