[CentOS] CentOS 4.1 x86_64 compiler segfaults

Pasi Pirhonen upi at papat.org
Tue Aug 16 10:52:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:05:51AM +0200, Remco Barendse wrote:

> Nice hearing you again :)

I'd say it's other way around. As when i did stop with Tao Linux, i do
think you still continued to use it :)

> Thanks for the input. This box has been running Centos 3.5 for over a year
> now without any stability problems (running plain vanilla kernel 2.6).
> It's a single core Athlon64.
>
> I guess that would pretty much rule out a hardware problem? I'll try to
> reduce the timings anyway.

I'd personal.ly rule out the CentOS-4 not working allright. Might be
the hardware/BIOS combinatio too. I did have some Epox-board and
Athlon64 which was not stable (== not even week uptimes) with any
memory timings until BIOS update fixed it.

Another thing ruling CentOS out from my part is that when i stress test
my new hardware, i usually do a funbuild of CentOS codebase which
usually works aOK when the hardware is working aOK.
lately i have been considering this too little of work as dual-code
Athlon64 crunches this codebase around just too quicly (12h or
something). This part of 'my unintentional testing' pretty much rules
out CentOS-4 distribution being somehow faulty.

So maybe it's something triggered with CentOS-4 kernel which is quite
radically different now from the vanilla kernel sources? I really don't
know. The symptoms are pretty much same, what i did see while, iterating
the problems on dyal-core few weeks ago.

--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi at iki.fi - http://iki.fi/upi/