[CentOS] Re: Installing/Activating GUI for Server Settings -- [OT] Linux for Users

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Tue Aug 16 18:29:32 UTC 2005

One more item.  We have network administrators and Linux experts on the
team, but take for instance my home office server.  Basically it is a
FTP and HTTP box that just runs and runs.  However, there are those
routine tasks of setting up Centos and getting Interbase and PHP working
together.  This is more than what is in the "Understanding Unix" book on
my shelf (too basic) and less than most of what is in "Linux System
Administration" (though it is a great reference book).

What is needed IMHO is a *task* oriented book for beginning system
administration - not the normal structure of most Linux books.

OK...onward with enjoying my first install of Centos......

Todd

Todd Cary wrote:

> Bryan -
>
> Agreed!  For me there is a distinction between "understanding" and
> "knowing".  My 30 years experience has been in the Windows environment
> and in comparison, Linux is much easier to understand.  The challenge
> is knowing where to look or knowing which function and switch to use.
>
> I often use the term "spiral learning"; that is one starts with a task
> to do.  Rather than having to commit reems of information to memory to
> achieve a simple task, it is easier to accomplish the task by looking
> up what is wanted.  Then one can expand (spiral outward) his
> knowledge.  Now I have many friends who prefer to read manuals from
> cover to cover (and they remember most of it).  Of course, my dyslexia
> creates it's own hurdle and bias.
>
> Todd
>
> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>
>>Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The "problem," if you can call it that, is that Linux can
>>>do so many things.  It's difficult to have a "Cliff Notes"
>>>version of a real Linux-centric system admin book.
>>>

>>There really should be a Linux book called "Linux For Users"
>>that could fit under 300 pages.
>>
>>It would assume you either had a local sysadmin (corporate
>>users) or a local LUG (home users) that could assist in
>>installing and hardware setup.  In the worst case, a sister
>>book that focused on more of the administration details could
>>and should be separate.
>>
>>Just my $0.02 ...
>>

>--
>Ariste Software