[CentOS] Re: Installing/Activating GUI for Server Settings -- [OT] Linux for Users

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:06:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 13:29, Todd Cary wrote:

> What is needed IMHO is a *task* oriented book for beginning system
> administration - not the normal structure of most Linux books.

If you can describe it in a task oriented step-by-step approach
you could just as easily script it so that no one would ever
have to do those steps again.   If you have a situation that
fits the appliance-oriented approach (an office or home with one
server and one internet connection) you might like the SME
server from http://www.contribs.org.  Administration is all
through web forms and is task oriented. The next version will
have Centos inside.  I'd just rather see something with similar
concepts that could be added on to a stock distribution like
webmin instead of making something completely different.  Unlike
webmin, it maintains its own database to rebuild config files
and in many cases it combines concepts for simplicity.  For example,
if you create a 'group' you automatically get an email distribution
group and a unix permission group at the same time. Likewise, you
add an 'information bay' or ibay and get a samba share, an ftp
directory, and a web site all at the same time.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com