[CentOS] Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Shawn M. Jones smj at littleprojects.org
Mon Aug 22 16:46:42 UTC 2005

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> Without the Dag repository, I get this error:
> Error: Missing Dependency: libMagick-5.5.6-Q16.so.0 is needed by
> package transcode
> Error: Missing Dependency: libpbm.so.9 is needed by package
> subtitleripper
> Error: Missing Dependency: libppm.so.9 is needed by package
> subtitleripper
>
> Without the freshrpms repository, I get the same error as I did
> before, where transcode conflicts.
>
> Anything else I can try?

Dave,

How much have you deviated from the CentOS 4 baseline?

If we are talking about the same machine you've been working on, I
recall you've done the following (not necessarily in that order):
1.  Installed CentOS
2.  Installed the kde.org RPMs so you could get KDE 3.4 (which is not
part of CentOS)
3.  Used some yum repositories designed for Fedora Core

Installing a new version of KDE also changes many of the libraries that
other apps depend on.  Installing binaries from a Fedora Core repository
may upgrade many of your libraries further as yum tries to "help" you.

Their versions won't line up with what the CentOS/RHEL repositories
(both base and third-party) are expecting, and these libraries may be
incompatible with the apps contained in CentOS 4.

If you have not reinstalled since numbers 2 and 3, then your system is
no longer part of the CentOS baseline and its 'maturity' (good term
Bryan!) is suspect.  Right now your system is bits and pieces of
different distributions.

I've been down the same road, years ago, when I wanted newer software
for an old version of Red Hat.  It taught me the values of package
management and stability.

The best way to bring it back to CentOS-4 is to reformat and reinstall,
then try to solve your needs (like DVD-ripping).

Adding on applications is fine, but replacing existing applications
needs to be done with great care.  I usually install additional software
ALONGSIDE the existing software so that the distribution still works.  I
install compiled software in /usr/local and create my own RPMs once I'm
convinced I want to stick with a particular application/library.

If you've already reinstalled since the KDE-3.4 incident and the FC
repos incident, then please disregard this advice.

--Shawn

P.S.  A lot of us are telling you what to do.  Please digest all of the
information and do some research before making a decision.