[CentOS] Re: Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 22 13:56:58 UTC 2005

Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org> wrote:
> I disagree, a Tarball also gives you no reliable upgrade /
> update options.

Unless, of course, "rpmbuild -tb mysrc.tar.gz" works.  ;->

> If you have a problem with the way .rpm was
> built, grab the src.rpm and rebuild to suit yourself.

Agreed.  That's typically how you want to handle it.

> Going tarball should be last resort.

Assuming you can't find an .rpm in a repository you trust to
be free of "inter-repository hell" with your existing
selection.

> hummmm, I've had way too many issues with FC repo's on EL
> Distro's that I no longer consider that to be a real option
> - nothing for a newbie who dosent understand
repo-management
> completely.

Agreed.  Especially with DAG around.

[ And I've had a lot of "bad taste" left in my mouth from
FreshRPMS.NET in 2003-2004 that I stuck with Fedora
Project/Extras, and DAG when they didn't work. ]

> Wait a minute. Have you actually ever tried this on a
> CentOS4 machine ?
> Dag has dvd-rip in his repository, but did not build for
> EL4 the last time he ran through a build cycle. I'll look
> at the buildlogs later in the day today and see what the
> issue really was.
> If you can wait for a _day_ then getting it from dag's repo
> is going to be the best option.

Agreed.