[CentOS] Why shouldn't I expect more of CentOS/Linux?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Aug 22 17:42:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Timothy wrote:

> On Monday 22 August 2005 07:37 am, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
>
> > In any case, if you would be willing to share simply how you got
> > dvd::rip working, that would be a great start. Was it an RPM install or
> > using a tarball?
>
> Tarball is best.  Always gives you the most control.  RPM is simpler, but you
> are at the mercy of the package maintainer's choice of configure options.
> Just use yum if you choose the later.  For centos3 add freshrpm.net FC1 repo
> info to your yum.conf.

*please* don't give advice like this.

tarball is NOT the best, look at the audience before you give advice like
this. If you really think tarballs are the best, why are you using an RPM
based distribution anyway ?

Don't use FC1 repositories for CentOS unless you want ignorant people to
think RPM packages are crap. Sure it might work if you're lucky, but we
want always-working solutions, not randomly-working solutions.

> You will notice that the version of dvd::rip is 0.50.18 not the latest 0.52.6.

Why would that be ? Could it be because Freshrpms stopped building FC1
packages about a year ago ?

Kind regards,