[CentOS] Conflict between mouse and tablet

Tue Aug 2 11:02:14 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

I've been working hard to get my Wacom tablet to work as my primary
pointing device. I've installed the drivers and followed the
instructions at the Linux Wacom project at Sourceforge.
And I've been largely successful. The drivers are working, the
configuration utilities are working. I'm just one step away from success.

Apparently the problem is that my mouse and my USB tablet are fighting
with each other for control of input to the pointer. A guy from the
Linux Wacom mailing list (I can't believe I'm on a mailing list for how
to get a pointing device to work) told me that I need to edit xorg.conf
so that my mouse device option points to "mouse1" and not "mice". And he
referred me to the following page of explanation.
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/mouse1

The guys who work to make the Wacom driver happen on Linux are good guys
who have put in a lot of hard work to make their driver as well
documented as possible. But it's a case of information overload and
cryptic technobabble. They're talking way over my head.

Anyway, following the gist of their advice, I edited my xorg.conf file
where it says:
"Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
... to:
Option  "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
... but there was no change.

... and the guys on the Linux Wacom list take a long time to respond, if
at all.

So, can someone here advise on what setting in xorg.conf will get my
mouse input out of the way and let my tablet do it's job?
I also tried removing the whole section for the mouse specifications,
thinking that if it wasn't there, it couldn't obstruct my tablet. But
that caused X windows to crash.

Here is my current xorg.conf:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier    "single head configuration"
    Screen        0    "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
     InputDevice    "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
     InputDevice    "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
     InputDevice    "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name
of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

    RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "fbdevhw"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Option    "Xleds"        "1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#    Option    "XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
# or:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
#    Option    "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
    ModelName    "Dell P1110"
    DisplaySize  400    300
    HorizSync    30.0 - 121.0
    VertRefresh  48.0 - 160.0
    Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "nv"
    VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName   "RIVA TNT2"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
        Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "cursor"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"
  Option        "Type"          "cursor"
  Option        "Mode"          "Relative"
  Option        "USB"           "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "stylus"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"
  Option        "Type"          "stylus"
  Option        "USB"           "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "wacom"
  Identifier    "eraser"
  Option        "Device"        "/dev/input/event2"
  Option        "Type"          "eraser"
  Option        "USB"           "on"
EndSection

Section "DRI"