[CentOS] Conflict between mouse and tablet

Tue Aug 2 12:23:33 UTC 2005
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV>

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 20:02 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I've been working hard to get my Wacom tablet to work as my primary
> pointing device.

Any reason not to get rid of the mouse if you want to use the Wacom?

> I've installed the drivers and followed the
> instructions at the Linux Wacom project at Sourceforge.
> And I've been largely successful. The drivers are working, the
> configuration utilities are working. I'm just one step away from success.
>
> Apparently the problem is that my mouse and my USB tablet are fighting
> with each other for control of input to the pointer. A guy from the
> Linux Wacom mailing list (I can't believe I'm on a mailing list for how
> to get a pointing device to work) told me that I need to edit xorg.conf
> so that my mouse device option points to "mouse1" and not "mice". And he
> referred me to the following page of explanation.
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/mouse1
>
> The guys who work to make the Wacom driver happen on Linux are good guys
> who have put in a lot of hard work to make their driver as well
> documented as possible. But it's a case of information overload and
> cryptic technobabble. They're talking way over my head.
>
> Anyway, following the gist of their advice, I edited my xorg.conf file
> where it says:
> "Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> ... to:
> Option  "Device" "/dev/input/mouse1"
> ... but there was no change.

The way I read the reference above, you need to define the Wacom tablet
as the "CorePointer" device in "ServerLayout" to get the behavior you
want.  Not clear what protocol is appropriate for the Wacom, but seems
you may be able to modify "InputDevice" to use the wacom driver and
appropriate protocol.  From your description, seems that mouse1 may
still be your mouse, or that all the added wacom sections in your
xorg.conf are contributing to the the confusing events.  What does

# ls -alF /dev/input

show?

I'd try rebooting to runlevel 3 with the mouse disconnected and
reconfiguring X as follows:

During GRUB startup, hit Esc or down arrow to get to the menu during the
countdown.  Type "a" to modify the kernel line, backspace over the "rhgb
quiet" and type 3 to boot runlevel 3 (non-GUI).  Log in as root at the
prompt, backup the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and run

# system-config-display --reconfig

With any luck, the Wacom will get configured, assuming you can answer
the mouse questions appropriately in the configuration.  If still not
working post what happened in the dialog.

# telinit 5

will get you to the GUI login mode you are used to seeing if successful.
Otherwise, can restore /etc/X11/xorg.conf, reboot with the mouse and you
will at least not have lost ground.  [Ctrl-Alt-F1 will get you back to
the virtual console root login if X hangs.]

Phil