[CentOS] How to login to a new session?

Tue Aug 2 13:33:32 UTC 2005
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV>

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 08:28 -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 04:50, duffmckagan wrote:
> > What I want to do is.....If I Lock my Screen, the other user should be
> > able to Login to a new session on the Same computer.
>
> Here's an alternative, much easier and cleaner solution than Johnny's (with
> all due respect).
>
> 1) Make sure /etc/sysconfig/desktop contain DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE".
> 2) Edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc. In the General section, add this line:
>
> ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3,:4,:5
>
> 3) Restart your computer (or just do "init 3 && init 5").
>
> You'll see that this solution is very clean and integrates perfectly with KDE.
> When a user has locked the screen, there is a button labeled "start new
> session" or something so that you can start a new session. You can switch
> session using the "switch session" item in the K menu. At any time, you can
> use ctrl-alt-F? to switch sessions.
>
> Tell me about your experience!

Well, followed the above out of curiosity and display manager is now kdm
rather than gdm, but no apparent change when the screen is locked.  No
opportunity for another user to log in to a new session, and Ctrl-Alt-F8
is a black screen. :-(

Johnny's technique does get me a new session on VC#8.

Phil