[CentOS] And now onto the palm pilot with Kpilot

Thu Aug 4 20:58:42 UTC 2005
Shawn M. Jones <smj at littleprojects.org>

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> The Kpilot documentation suggest that I look for the palm pilot at
> /dev/ttyUSB0. That didn't work, but I noticed in my /dev/ directory
> that there was also a ttyUSB1. That didn't work either. But then I
> noticed that both were only apparent when I was hot syncing my Palm,
> so they must be connected to it.
>
> Any ideas, then, as to why Kpilot is not acknowledging them as a Palm
> device the way that lsusb does?

I've wrestled with this one before.  I believe that udev creates the
/dev/ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1 once the "sync" button is pressed on the
cradle.  I had to do something with udev in order to get it to create a
/dev/pilot symlink to this device on every boot, but at the moment I
don't have access to the machine to tell you what it was.

Also, I suggest trying to start with dlpsh to diagnose any problems.  It
is a command line utility for accessing your palm device.  I've found
that it gives much better feedback than Kpilot or Gpilot.  It is
included with the pilot-link package on CentOS 4.

Hope this helps,

--Shawn