[CentOS] And now onto the palm pilot with Kpilot

Fri Aug 5 09:28:10 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

> I've wrestled with this one before.  I believe that udev creates the
> /dev/ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1 once the "sync" button is pressed on the
> cradle.  I had to do something with udev in order to get it to create
> a /dev/pilot symlink to this device on every boot, but at the moment I
> don't have access to the machine to tell you what it was.

Thank you for your advice.
I successfully connected to my palm by starting the hotsync process,
then running dlpsh at the command line, listening on port /dev/ttyUSB1.

However, using /dev/ttyUSB1 in Kpilot produced no results.

But with this new information, I looked up the Kpilot documentation, and
found myself at this page:
http://www.gadgetreview.com/guides/palm-under-linux.html

Which had instructions for Fedora Core 1, but I thought it might be
close enough. It instructed that I try the following:

cd /dev
ln -s ttyUSB1 pilot
ln -s ttyUSB1 palm
chmod 0666 pilot palm

And then I tried connecting through /dev/pilot, /dev/palm, and
/dev/ttyUSB1. But it was unsuccesful.

So at this stage it seems that the USB connection is okay, the palm
pilot is okay, but Kpilot is not. Or there could still be some other
issue that I don't know about.

Any ideas what I can try next?

Dave