[CentOS] Java installation problem.

Sat Aug 6 19:30:27 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

> > If all you need is the runtime environment, you can install this from
> > dag's repository (dag.wieers.com/home-made/j2re/ install instructions
> > for the repo at http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B4 )
>
> I found an error 404 while accessing the first link.

The first url I provided was off the top of my head, which appears to
be incorrect. Sorry about that. It should have been
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/

> But why would I need to uninstall the existing rpm, if it is gonna work good?
> If it not, I will surely get it working by following dag's method.

The java rpm gives you a basic java install, but as you've already
discovered, it's not immediately functional. In addition, it doesn't
do much in the way of setting up a java environment for the user.
Dag's rpm generates a java.desktop file which provides you with a link
in menus, as well as an icon to click for java access. It sets the
path appropriately, updates mime-types and provides  a browser plugin
which essentially gives you a warm fuzzy java runtime installation
that requires almost no setup. This is why for new users, normal users
and people who don't need the java development pack to use dag's
packages.

Java is good software, but it's packaging is some of the worst I've
seen, and is designed to be installed by administrators, not the
average user. this is why dag, jpackage and others have repackaged it.

What you have installed WILL work, it just will take some configuring.
I recommended dag's packaging as a way for you to get up and running
quickly with a good setup, not to say that yours would not work.

> Moreover, i also need to configure my yum.
> I have been working with apt (In Debian)  a lot, and this yum is quite
> new to me.

In which case you'll probably want to add dag's repository anyway for
things like mplayer, dvd software, xmms-mp3, and a whole host of other
useful packages.

I find that with dag's repository, and the extras rebuild provided at
http://centos.karan.org  I can usually find nearly everything I need.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT