[CentOS] Java installation problem.

Sat Aug 6 19:34:40 UTC 2005
duffmckagan <mckagan at gmail.com>

On 8/6/05, Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > If all you need is the runtime environment, you can install this from
> > > dag's repository (dag.wieers.com/home-made/j2re/ install instructions
> > > for the repo at http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B4 )
> >
> > I found an error 404 while accessing the first link.
> >
> The first url I provided was off the top of my head, which appears to
> be incorrect. Sorry about that. It should have been
> http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/
>

> > But why would I need to uninstall the existing rpm, if it is gonna work good?
> > If it not, I will surely get it working by following dag's method.
>
> The java rpm gives you a basic java install, but as you've already
> discovered, it's not immediately functional. In addition, it doesn't
> do much in the way of setting up a java environment for the user.
> Dag's rpm generates a java.desktop file which provides you with a link
> in menus, as well as an icon to click for java access. It sets the
> path appropriately, updates mime-types and provides  a browser plugin
> which essentially gives you a warm fuzzy java runtime installation
> that requires almost no setup. This is why for new users, normal users
> and people who don't need the java development pack to use dag's
> packages.
>
> Java is good software, but it's packaging is some of the worst I've
> seen, and is designed to be installed by administrators, not the
> average user. this is why dag, jpackage and others have repackaged it.
>
> What you have installed WILL work, it just will take some configuring.
> I recommended dag's packaging as a way for you to get up and running
> quickly with a good setup, not to say that yours would not work.
>

> > Moreover, i also need to configure my yum.
> > I have been working with apt (In Debian)  a lot, and this yum is quite
> > new to me.
> >

> In which case you'll probably want to add dag's repository anyway for
> things like mplayer, dvd software, xmms-mp3, and a whole host of other
> useful packages.
>
> I find that with dag's repository, and the extras rebuild provided at
> http://centos.karan.org  I can usually find nearly everything I need.
>
> --
> Jim Perrin
> System Administrator - UIT
> Ft Gordon & US Army Signal Center

Thanks for the reply. ....that was cool.
That thing made the things quite clear.
I will download the package from Dag's repository tomorrow, and
uninstall the one from Sun.

I need to sleep this night.
See you guys tomorrow. (I am in a different time zone.)

--
"No-one dies a virgin. Life screws everyone."