[CentOS] httx, iiimf, and Japanese input still not working

Mon Aug 8 18:04:29 UTC 2005
Shawn M. Jones <smj at littleprojects.org>

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> Japanese input - the final frontier. This is the last obstacle before
> I can work completely within Centos and be free of Windows.
> But it's still not working.
>
> <SNIP>
> And here are the results of some of the commands they suggest to check
> if iiimf is running in KDE:
> <SNIP>
> [root at localhost dave]# LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=htt kedit
> QInputContext: no input method context available
> QInputContext: no input method context available
>
> When I went to Google to look up this error, that's when I eventually
> came across httx, but that's where I was stonewalled.
>
> I hope someone can help me get this last piece of the puzzle in place.

I don't know if this will help, but I've got the iiim service running on
my CentOS 4 laptop at home.  I type the necessary shell variables
followed by the command I want and it works quite well for Gnome/GTK
applications.

I've successfully typed kana into GVIM and gedit without issue.
CTRL-SPACE is used to turn on the non-Latin language set (a little Kanji
character displays underneath the window to indicate the change in
mode).  CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE is used to switch between Japanese, Korean,
Chinese, and other language sets.  All of this appears to work just fine.

I don't know how to get it to use Kanji though.  All I appear to get is
hiragana.  I don't know very much Japanese and really can't read it
without a kana chart and a dictionary.  My sister has had several years
of Japanese in school and was nice enough to verify that, yes, it was
displaying kana.  Unfortunately, when I typed in "neko" it displayed the
hiragana and not the Kanji we were expecting.

Also, unfotunately for you, what doesn't work is KDE/QT apps.  I'm not
sure yet as to why.  I run KDE for my desktop, but my of my apps are
Gnome/GTK (go figure!).

I guess my reason for posting is to indicate to you that, yes, this does
work for someone else, and yes, they are having the same problem with
KDE apps.

--Shawn