[CentOS] httx, iiimf, and Japanese input still not working

Mon Aug 8 22:16:58 UTC 2005
Ping-Wu Zhang <pwzhangz at gmail.com>

On 8/8/05, Shawn M. Jones <smj at littleprojects.org> wrote:

> I don't know how to get it to use Kanji though.  All I appear to get is
> hiragana.  I don't know very much Japanese and really can't read it
> without a kana chart and a dictionary.  My sister has had several years
> of Japanese in school and was nice enough to verify that, yes, it was
> displaying kana.  Unfortunately, when I typed in "neko" it displayed the
> hiragana and not the Kanji we were expecting.
>
> Also, unfotunately for you, what doesn't work is KDE/QT apps.  I'm not
> sure yet as to why.  I run KDE for my desktop, but my of my apps are
> Gnome/GTK (go figure!).
>

> --Shawn

To convert from hiragana to katakana, you have to press the down
cursor.  If you have canna deamon running, you can further convert it
to kanja by hitting the enter key, followed by the down cursor.  E.g.,

neko  ->  ねこ  ->  ネコ  ->  眠子

I have not been able to get iiimf working in KDE, & this is the key
reason why I am sticking with GNOME.  But I have heard that iiimf
should work under KDE.