[CentOS] xfs module not loading

Thu Aug 18 22:26:55 UTC 2005
Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com>

On 8/18/05, Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > How did you add xfs.ko and reiserfs.ko to modules.cgz in initrd?
> > >
> > > By default, the initrd doesn't have any file system modules - they are
> > > normally loaded at stage2 time
> > >
> > > The way I've got XFS to work is to make sure the xfsprogs and XFS
> > > enabled kernel RPMS are in the distribution tree - you might need to add
> > > xfsprogs to the CentOS/base/comps.xml file (not sure if it is required,
> > > as I think anaconda will install it anyway if xfs is selected at install
> > > time) and then rebuild your installer ... which is easier said than
> > > done, but basically involves installing the anaconda-runtime RPM and its
> > > dependencies and then running the various build scripts - which are all
> > > given in http://centos.hughesjr.com/testing/build.sh.txt
> >
> > I figured out the same thing last night.  The reason why I added it to
> > initrd is because ext3 exists there.  Looking more closely at the
> > anaconda log, it wasn't able to find the xfs module.  I then added the
> > XFS tools and module to stage2.  Anaconda is able to find it now; it
> > even copies it to /tmp (same as other module).  The anaconda/loader
> > log indicates that it's able to find the xfs module, but it's failing
> > to load it (code 80).  Comparison of the modinfo information for both
> > ext3.ko and xfs.ko look exactly the same (kernel identification).
> >
> > The xfs module is built manually.  I will try to build it using
> > rpmbuild from the kernel src rpm and try it.
>
> The module size is different when built from rpmbuild vs building
> manually.  The module is still not loading.  This is the relevant
> anaconda log entries:
>
>    loaded xfs from /mnt/runtime/modules/modules.cgz
>    failed to insert module (1)
>    failed to insert /tmp/xfs.ko
>    formatting /data as xfs
>
> ls -l /tmp/xfs.ko:
>
>   -rwxr--r--  1 root 0 579936 Aug 18  2005 /tmp/xfs.ko
>
> modinfo of xfs.ko:
>
>    filename:     /tmp/xfs.ko
>    author:        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
> numbers, no debug enabled
>    license:       GPL
>    vermagic:     2.6.9-11.EL 586 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4
>    depends:

Maybe I need to move this discussion to the anaconda mailing list.

Anyway, I've been unable to get the xfs kernel module to load.
Comparing the setup in Fedora Core 4, I noticed that xfs.ko is
dependent on exportfs.ko (in modules.dep).  I've added the modules to
netstg2.img and stage2.img.  Anaconda (loader) is unable to load the
modules (although both are copied to /tmp).  There's nothing in the
log to pinpoint what the problem is.  Anyone knows what I'm missing?
Why is anaconda/loader unable to load these modules?