[CentOS] Wildcard DNS

Fri Aug 19 16:50:52 UTC 2005
Mike Kercher <mike at CamaroSS.net>

centos-bounces at centos.org <> scribbled on Friday, August 19, 2005 11:42 AM:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 10:54:05AM -0500, Mike Kercher wrote:
>>> Setup your server to be authoritative for root (.) and
> serve up a *.
>>> A record in there.  Some of the alternate root network sites (ie.
>>> OpenNIC) have instructions for setting up BIND to be
> authoritative
>>> for .
>>
>> Thanks Alan.  I'm googling now.  If you have a link, I'd
> appreciate it
>> :)
>>

> Something like:
>
> zone "." in
> {
> 	type master;
> 	file "root.zone";
> };
>
> ... instead of the type hint section for .
>
> It's been a long time since I used BIND, so this is just a suggestion.

That worked perfectly.  If I nslookup anything, it all resolves to the same
192.168.x.x address.  This is what the root.db looks like"

$TTL    86400
@               IN SOA  @       root (
                                        42              ; serial (d. adams)
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

                IN NS           @
*.              IN      A       192.168.100.50

Thanks for the help!

Mike