[CentOS] Re: Linux Trademarked? -- now you know why they call it "Fedora Core"

Fri Aug 19 17:40:51 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
> Kind of depressing, though. Eventually we'll have to name
> our software projects names like "Project 2" in order to
not
> infringe... oh wait.. there's Microsoft Project, dang!

It's the world we live in.  No IP reform can change the
reality that eventually someone can and will take your
trademark and abuse it, causing damage to your trademark.
And if you failed to enforce it prior, then there is a real
chance that it can and will lose all value.

BTW, I think Linus should have done it back at LinuxWorld
1999.  Back then, hundreds of people were looking to license
Linux(R).  Their ignorance, Linus' gain, eh?  ;->