[CentOS] Linux Trademarked?

Fri Aug 19 19:27:51 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net> wrote:
> ummmmm it is Fedora Core and not Fedora Linux right?

Correct.

> or am i missing something?

Some people refer to it as Fedora Linux.
Books, articles, etc...
It is and has always been, Fedora Core from Red Hat.

Previously, before the Red Hat assumed control of the
trademark, the Fedora Project at the University of Hawaii was
sometimes called Fedora Linux.
But not since mid-2003 when Red Hat took it over.

> im trying to understand..... does Red Hat have a license to
> say "Linux"

I'm sure for Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux(R) that Red Hat(R)
will most likely license the Linux(R) trademark.

I'm sure Red Hat could probably extend a sublicense to the
Fedora(TM) Project as well, but since a major reason of the
project was designed to minimize many legal issues (even if
under the umbrella of Red Hat), I'm sure that's why they made
many, careful considerations when coming up with Fedora(TM)
Core, Extras, Legacy, etc...

-- Bryan

Disclaimer:  I do not and have never worked for Red Hat.