[CentOS] CentOS 4.1 yum update just hangs [SOLVED]

Mon Aug 22 18:18:44 UTC 2005
Robin Mordasiewicz <robin at bullseye.tv>

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 13:22 -0400, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> Just wondering if you are installing a bunch of i386 stuff (Open Office,
> etc., or mostly just x86_64 stuff)  It shouldn't matter, you should be
> able to install packages and upgrade all the items with no issues.

In my kickstart config I have

%packages --resolvedeps
@ kde-software-development
@ compat-arch-development
@ kde-desktop
@ web-server
@ x-software-development
@ legacy-software-development
@ french-support
@ server-cfg
@ system-tools
@ editors
@ admin-tools
@ base-x
@ printing
@ gnome-desktop
@ gnome-software-development
@ graphics
@ development-tools
@ text-internet
@ graphical-internet
@ compat-arch-support
kernel-smp-devel
kernel-smp
lvm2
e2fsprogs

> Ok, this sounds like some kind of driver issue with SATA.  What kernel
> are you running (uname -r)?

Linux rnd21.bullseye.tv 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jun 8 16:59:12 CDT 2005
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> What kind of machine (model of motherboard and/or machine)?

It is a Tyan with an onboard SATA controller, I do not have the exact
specs. I will look it up asap.

> Do you have the latest BIOS update for the motherboard and the SATA
> controller.

yep

> Is the controller for the hard drive(s) built onto the motherboard or is
> it a separate controller?

onboard

> Are you running RAID or LVM2 (or both)?

I only have a single drive, so no RAID, but by default CEntOS 4 is using
LVM

After doing some more research I tried using the unsupported kernel from
the centosplus repo and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the excellent hints on where to look. I would never guessed
that it was a kernel incompatiblity problem.