[CentOS] CentOS 4.1 yum update just hangs

Mon Aug 22 17:40:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 13:22 -0400, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> >> Are you running x86_64 ?
> >> Or is anyone here running x86_64 CentOS 4 and having success with yum
> >> update ?
> >
> > I run x86_64 with no problems ...
> > What kind of install is it, Workstation or Server?
> > After the upgrade where RPM is upgraded, it is actually a good idea to
> > rebuild the database.
> > The machine I use to autobuild all updates is an x86_64 machine that
> > runs with 6 chroots.
>
> The install was a kickstart install with mostly defaults. I dont think you
> can specify server/desktop variations in the kickstart, and I dont know if
> that would make a difference, other than default package selection ?

Just wondering if you are installing a bunch of i386 stuff (Open Office,
etc., or mostly just x86_64 stuff)  It shouldn't matter, you should be
able to install packages and upgrade all the items with no issues.

> I did a default install from the DVD and it should not make the mahcine
> useless to run "yum update"

That is true ... useless machines are not part of our goals :)

> I would like to figure out what it is that is broken. I am not an expert
> in this field, and having troubles narrowing it down.

Ok, this sounds like some kind of driver issue with SATA.  What kernel
are you running (uname -r)?

What kind of machine (model of motherboard and/or machine)?

Do you have the latest BIOS update for the motherboard and the SATA
controller.

Is the controller for the hard drive(s) built onto the motherboard or is
it a separate controller?

Are you running RAID or LVM2 (or both)?