[CentOS] Need a little kick start to compile appletalk module

Mon Aug 22 20:51:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 13:29 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> RHEL 4 (and thus CentOS 4) do not have appletalk module included.
> CentOSPlus rather thoughtfully has the 'unsupported' version which would
> have the appletalk module but I have been unable to get the old megaraid
> driver to run compiled from the kernel-devel for these 'unsupported'
> kernels.
>
> Thus I would love to simply compile the appletalk module myself from the
> standard kernel-devel for the standard i686/i686smp kernels as I have to
> do for the old megaraid driver.
>
> Thus it would appear, that I would need the kernel source for this.
>
> How would I 'isolate' the appletalk kernel stuff? Would I install the
> kernel-sourcecode rpm - like...
> <http://centos.cs.ucr.edu/centos/4.1/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/kernel-
> sourcecode-2.6.9-11.EL.noarch.rpm>
> and hunt down the appletalk directory and compile the module separately
> pretty much as I do with the older megaraid code? Is it reasonable to
> hope that the necessary code for the appletalk kernel module would be
> contained in one subdirectory? Is there an easier way that I am missing?

I haven't looked, but the appletalk stuff should be in a separate
directory ... but it might depend on some other items.

What errors are you having for the megaraid driver?

Do not use the kernel-sourcecode to get the buildtree ... it doesn't
contain arch specific patches and configuration changes.   The best way
to get a full kernel tree that is fully adjusted for your arch is to
download the kernel-xxxxx-src.rpm and install it using:

rpm -Uvh kernel-xxxxx.src.rpm

then

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

(or another location if you build with another %_topdir in
your .rpmmacros)

then do

rpmbuild -bp --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec

(substitute the arch you are concerned about) and then go to

cd ../BUILD

you should have a kernel directory under there that you can move
to /usr/src

in the ../SOURCE directory are all the config files for all the other
arches .... so you only have to unpack it once.