[CentOS] Re: Linux Trademarked?

Wed Aug 24 03:38:04 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 22:07 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> My company didn't sign any licenses to use its own code.

But you _did_ license a product from Company B.

Trust me dude, I've been there.
I've built C, Perl and shell code around licensed products.
Namely Electronic Design Automation (EDA) tools that are easily 6
figures per license.

And I've read those _written_ licensing agreements.
They forbid a _lot_ of even _internal_ usage of their trademarks.
We are bound by them because we signed.

If you don't have a signed agreement, then common law is used.

> My company signed no licenses to use its own code.

Again, did you have _any_ written agreement with company B where they
said you had agreed to not use their trademarks, or some other clause
that you were not entitled to misappropriate different forms of their IP
(including trademarks) even internally?

If they are anything like the licensing agreements I've seen, _yes_.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com