[CentOS] why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Ulrik S. Kofod usk at cybersite.dk
Thu Dec 1 08:41:09 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith sagde:

> If you haven't noticed, Red Hat has been making more and more
> options not available in the default install.  This isboot loader
> because they regularly get "beat up" in the media for
> confusing peshouldn'tttouchder

Well to me it doesn't really make sense to remove LILO and keep the "change boot
loader" button as "no bootloader" is the only alternative to GRUB. User frendlyness
has not improved much just because LILO isn't displayed as option anymore.

Non-geeks shouldn't tuch the "change bootloader" button in the first place.

Instead of removing options they should add geek warnings so people would know what
to avoid,  and still make room for them to learn from their mistakes :)

The "linux lilo" option (nearly) works. I'm doing a minimal install and the centOS
4.2 server CD crashed on me in the install process, something about files it
couldn't find (didn't save the dump sorry), and when using centOS 4.2 CD #1 I need
CD #3 aswell to get LILO.... I'm getting a little annoyed again :)

best regards
Ulrik