[CentOS] Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Alain Reguera alain.reguera at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:05:34 UTC 2005

guys thanks for the fast replays

Then, restructuring the mail-box:

Hardware:
Pentium III 1.4Ghz
256 RAM
40 GB HD-IDE

Soft:
CentOS 4.2
Postfix
(Cyrus-IMAPd|wu-imapd|courrier)
MailScanner [moved]    \ [1]
Spanassassin [moved]  /

Partitioning(in MB):
/                         8.000
/boot/                  100
swap                   512
/home/                14.888
/tmp/                   500
/var/spool/imap/    2.000 # This could be as a Cyrus Swap, moreover of
System Swap?
/var/spool/mail/     14.000

[1] To somewhere else where the mail box connect before sending and
receiving mails to check for, or maybe another tricky configuration?.
:)

> A P3 1.4GHz is more than up to the task, so you will have no problem there.
> That is PLENTY fast enough to run the mail server that Johnny talks
> about in his web pages

very nice.. news :)

> as long as people have relatively small mailbox quotas.

sure, I've read that cyrus implement this very well(I'll see the other
ones). In this list recommend me to install it. So I continue with you
guys.

> One change would be to add more memory to the machine if you
> can (memory is cheap these days so that might not even be an issue).

yes. but I only have one dim slot on the motherboard, my knowledge
about hardware make me feel the burning smelt of the other, when
trying to set a 256mb memory. Now I care a lot the other one that is
alive. :). I'll request for a 512mb ram to it.

Suggestions
-------------------------------
- Increase RAM (preferly 1GB)
- Increase HD (preferly 300 or 400gb)
- Implement Quota (on IMAP Server) [2]

Please, any other suggestion (and|or) modification in the
partitioning, will be welcome.

[2]
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-November/015538.html
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-November/015542.html