[CentOS] Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Rodrigo Barbosa rodrigob at suespammers.org
Tue Dec 6 04:21:23 UTC 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 11:05:34PM -0500, Alain Reguera wrote:
> (Cyrus-IMAPd|wu-imapd|courrier)

No courrier on that setup, please :)

> MailScanner [moved]    \ [1]
> Spanassassin [moved]  /
>
> Partitioning(in MB):
> /                         8.000
> /boot/                  100
> swap                   512
> /home/                14.888
> /tmp/                   500
> /var/spool/imap/    2.000 # This could be as a Cyrus Swap, moreover of
> System Swap?
> /var/spool/mail/     14.000
>
> [1] To somewhere else where the mail box connect before sending and
> receiving mails to check for, or maybe another tricky configuration?.
> :)

Should not be that much of a problem. I would recomend keeping and av
on the same machine. It should not give you that much trouble.
Spamassassin, otoh, will start eating your resources in 1 to 2 months.

> > A P3 1.4GHz is more than up to the task, so you will have no problem there.
> > That is PLENTY fast enough to run the mail server that Johnny talks
> > about in his web pages
> very nice.. news :)

Actually, for network servers, processing power is rarely an issue.

> > One change would be to add more memory to the machine if you
> > can (memory is cheap these days so that might not even be an issue).
>
> yes. but I only have one dim slot on the motherboard, my knowledge
> about hardware make me feel the burning smelt of the other, when
> trying to set a 256mb memory. Now I care a lot the other one that is
> alive. :). I'll request for a 512mb ram to it.

512mb should enable you to run without much trouble. 1G is an even
better option since you plan on running spamassassin.

> Suggestions
> -------------------------------
> - Increase RAM (preferly 1GB)
> - Increase HD (preferly 300 or 400gb)
> - Implement Quota (on IMAP Server) [2]

Hummm, RAID-1 ? A backup unit ? Disable Imap and only keep pop3 ?

If you run courrier on maildir mode, you can use incremental backups,
so a DLT tape (120G) should do the trick.

> Please, any other suggestion (and|or) modification in the
> partitioning, will be welcome.

Try to keep the swap partition on the middle of the disk.
It won't do you any harm, and can give you a nice edge by
reducing seek time.

- --