[CentOS] scsi tape device support

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 13 18:55:54 UTC 2005

Marc Peiser <marcpeiser at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a scsi tape device (Sony SDX-D500V)
> working on my dell 2450 running centos 4.2. I can see the
> device (ch1, id2) using the dell bois raid utility, but
> once booted into linux I can't see any mention of it in
> the logs or dmesg.

Is it the same SCSI controller as the SCSI disks?
Are the SCSI disks in a hardware RAID configuration?

Just FYI, some Linux drivers for SCSI cards with RAID only
have disk/block support, and not more advanced support for
rich peripherals like optical/tape on the same controller.

[ I don't know if that is your case, I haven't researched
your Dell model/configuration. ]

> Do you know if the generic kernel (2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp)
> supports this tape device?

Yes.  But I think you're issue is something else (as above).

> Can anyone give me any pointers in getting this
> device working.

If you do an "lsmod", we can find out more about your SCSI
controller.

Now if your tape is attached to a different controller (not
just a different channel on the same controller) than your
disks, then it's probably just the fact the SCSI driver isn't
loaded.

In either case, I need to know what disk controller.