[CentOS] Re: Horde domxml dependency problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 20 01:53:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 19:21 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 16:32 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > >>

> > > Yes, but it is not available with the PHP5 rpm from Centosplus repo.

> > > It would be greatly appreciated as I'm in the same situation.
> > ----
> > I certainly passed on your horde rpms since the horde/etc. tarballs were
> > the easy part and the pear modules have tended to be the harder part.
> >
> > I also have always used /var/www/html/horde as my base and was confused
> > with your installation base location and thought that it might create
> > some issues with selinux so I chickened out and removed the horde rpms
> > and just went for the tarballs (old habits die hard).
> >

> Just for the record ... the base location is the same as for
> squirrelmail and the other Red Hat web based items
> (/usr/share/project_name).
----
excellent explanation - since I don't use squirrelmail, I wouldn't have
known that.

I would suppose then that one makes a soft link from /usr/share/horde
to /var/www/html/horde and then has to deal with setting selinux httpd
contexts for the /usr/share/horde tree or do your rpm's set the
contexts?
----

> Also ... upgrading pear modules via RPM correctly is a major problem.
> Some of the modules that are included in the php-pear modules need to be
> upgraded.  That is a major problem that requires some major thought and
> planning.
>
> Just removing the files and not replacing / obsoleting the php-pear
> package will result in breakage at the next php upgrade.
>
> I think the proper way to do this is going to be to redo a php-pear that
> only has the pear module and no others (currently there are several
> modules as part of the php-pear RPM) ... then having a separate RPM for
> each pear module (similar to how perl modules are done now).
>
> This is not as easy as just building a couple RPMS :)
>
> Also, the solution needs to work for both php4 and php5 .. so for now,
> installing the pear updates via the instructions provided by the horde
> website is the best way.
----
I assumed that php-pear was from upstream - that would present an issue.

Thanks for the efforts...actually on CentOS 4, I don't really have
issues with php/pear/etc. CentOS 3 (RHEL 3 actually), I have to work it
hard...I actually have started to script a php/pear repair kit ;-)

Craig