[CentOS] Re: Horde domxml dependency problem

Tue Dec 20 10:11:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 18:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 19:21 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > > ----
> > > I certainly passed on your horde rpms since the horde/etc. tarballs were
> > > the easy part and the pear modules have tended to be the harder part.
> > >
> > > I also have always used /var/www/html/horde as my base and was confused
> > > with your installation base location and thought that it might create
> > > some issues with selinux so I chickened out and removed the horde rpms
> > > and just went for the tarballs (old habits die hard).
> > >

> > Just for the record ... the base location is the same as for
> > squirrelmail and the other Red Hat web based items
> > (/usr/share/project_name).
> ----
> excellent explanation - since I don't use squirrelmail, I wouldn't have
> known that.
>
> I would suppose then that one makes a soft link from /usr/share/horde
> to /var/www/html/horde and then has to deal with setting selinux httpd
> contexts for the /usr/share/horde tree or do your rpm's set the
> contexts?

What happens is that /horde (logically on the web server) is set as an
alias in httpd.conf (actually in /etc/httpd/conf.d/horde.conf) so
that /usr/share/horde appears as /horde on the website.

You would need to do everything to /usr/share/horde that you would do
to /var/www/html/horde in selinux (and also via chmod, chown) to set the
proper permissions.

Things like file permissions and ownership are already set in the
RPMS ... though not selinux settings ... as is the horde.conf created
and added to /etc/httpd/conf.d/

> ----
> >
> > Also ... upgrading pear modules via RPM correctly is a major problem.
> > Some of the modules that are included in the php-pear modules need to be
> > upgraded.  That is a major problem that requires some major thought and
> > planning.
> >
> > Just removing the files and not replacing / obsoleting the php-pear
> > package will result in breakage at the next php upgrade.
> >
> > I think the proper way to do this is going to be to redo a php-pear that
> > only has the pear module and no others (currently there are several
> > modules as part of the php-pear RPM) ... then having a separate RPM for
> > each pear module (similar to how perl modules are done now).
> >
> > This is not as easy as just building a couple RPMS :)
> >
> > Also, the solution needs to work for both php4 and php5 .. so for now,
> > installing the pear updates via the instructions provided by the horde
> > website is the best way.
> ----
> I assumed that php-pear was from upstream - that would present an issue.

That would be a problem (changing php-pear, an upstream RPM) which is
why this part would happen in the centosplus repo and not the extras
repo.

For people who don't know what php-pear is, it is an RPM with several
pear modules in it ... and several available modules are left out.

There is an interface (much like CPAN for PERL) that can be used to
upgrade the pear existing pear modules, or install new ones.  BUT
upgrading pear that way will result in items that are not known to the
RPM database.

On the next php update, a new php-pear will be installed, overwriting
the changed pear-modules.

Horde requires some pear modules that are not included in the default
pear modules in php-pear ... and it requires upgrades to some of the
modules that are included by the OS.

> Thanks for the efforts...actually on CentOS 4, I don't really have
> issues with php/pear/etc. CentOS 3 (RHEL 3 actually), I have to work it
> hard...I actually have started to script a php/pear repair kit ;-)

The reason this is required is that a new php-pear (installed via a php
security upgrade) overwrites any of it's core pear modules, downgrading
them.  Depending on how the upgrade is done, it could also erase the
directory that holds the newly installed pear modules too.

So, an RPM solution to the pear problem is in order.

I am developing a plan that should work for php4 and php5 ... and that
should allow for upgrades BUT not replace php-pear, but contain all the
functionality.  This would be part of the centosplus repo.

For those who want to know what the centosplus repo is:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/centosplus/Readme.txt