[CentOS] Re: Horde domxml dependency problem

Greg Swallow - SkyNet gregswallow at skynetonline.ca
Tue Dec 20 19:35:07 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Also ... upgrading pear modules via RPM correctly is a major problem.
> Some of the modules that are included in the php-pear modules need to be
> upgraded.  That is a major problem that requires some major thought and
> planning.
>
> Just removing the files and not replacing / obsoleting the php-pear
> package will result in breakage at the next php upgrade.
>
> I think the proper way to do this is going to be to redo a php-pear that
> only has the pear module and no others (currently there are several
> modules as part of the php-pear RPM) ... then having a separate RPM for
> each pear module (similar to how perl modules are done now).
>
> This is not as easy as just building a couple RPMS :)

It might be.  In SME Server the "include_path" in php.ini was changed to
read:
include_path = ".:/usr/share/pear-addons:/usr/share/pear"

Our pear addon rpms install files into the pear-addons folder.  It works for
us.  The php-pear rpm contains DB 1.6.2 and Mail 1.1.3 (installed in
/usr/share/pear), and our addon rpms of pear-db (1.7.6) and pear-mail
(1.1.4) install files to /usr/share/pear-addons.

Greg