[CentOS] which iso package for AMD Clawhammer 3700+ 64

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Wed Dec 21 20:28:44 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 09:16 -0600, rado wrote:

>>>Yep.  Though you can also install the 32-bit x86 distro in a pinch,
>>>can't ya?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>

>>thx for your replies U2...appreciated ...so I am on the right track
>>
>>kk...so it might be possible to install the 32 bit. But, ignorant as I
>>am on this and not in any pinch, I don't believe anyway. It seems that
>>if you have a 64 bit processor, the way to go is to install the 64 bit
>>on it to take advantage of the 64...
>>
>>Seems to me that's the way it should work...If not, then I am way out of
>>bounds w/my thinking.
>>
>>well, ya, 32bit should run on a 64...the proc just has to step down.
>>This is just IMHO tho.
>>
>>thx
>>
>>John Rose
>>

>The difference being that there are not all the items for x86_64 as
>there are for i386 ... and some of the stuff that is in the x86_64
>distro is i386 (Open Office, for example).
>
>So ... my recommendation is this:
>
>1.  If you are going to install a workstation where you want OpenOffice,
>Firefox with plugins, audio/video programs, etc ... use i386
>
>2.  If you are installing a server where you will not need any i386
>software (open office, mp3 junk, browser plugins, etc.) then use x86_64.

I have the OO installed here, and there does not seem to be any issues
with it, however I don't use it much either.  There may be some
functionality of OO in the x86 version that is not in the x86-64, but
I'm not an avid user of either, so I can't state without question.  I
did install the OO package during install.  As for the other stuff
Johnny mentioned, he's correct in that some of the whing-ding packages
aren't there under the 86-64.  Again, there might be issues with
building software as I mentioned in first response, but most have been
workable.

Sam

--
Snowman