[CentOS] Multiple program instances or multiple log ins?

Andreas Rogge arogge at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 08:18:45 UTC 2005

Hello,

i don't know if this does the trick for you, but you can log on multiple
times with different users by using Xnest.

Let me explain what this means and how it works:
As X11 is network-capable you can simply turn your workstation into some
kind of Terminal Server.
There is Xnest, which is an XServer using your running instance of X as
a display instead of a real graphics adapter.
You can use Xnest to get another (windowed) X11-Session on your machine
and log in with any user you like. These new sessions will be absolutely
isolated.
The number of sessions is only limited by your system-resources (i.e.
oversized Memory won't hurt)

Regards,
Andreas