[CentOS] cyrus idled not in the cyrus-imapd rpm?

Fri Dec 30 12:23:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 10:19 +0100, sophana wrote:
> Ok thanks. I did bring the source with apt-get source cyrus-imapd
> Then I rebuilt the rpmsource with
> rpmbuild -ba --define='IDLED 1' --define='SEEN_DB skiplist' cyrus-imapd.spec
>
> Now Idled works just fine. My emails now appear instantly.
>
> But my question is:
> Why idled is disabled by default? It seems to be working great.

In CentOS, the why question is easy :)

We build it exactly as is comes from the upstream provider so as to
maintain the packages like they are in the upstream product ... even if
those are not the best options.

> Does anybody knows if there are drawbacks in using idled?

That I am not sure about ... taking a look, I found this in the change
log:

Mon Nov 25 13:00:00 2002 Simon Matter
- changed default build option for IDLED to off
- included some useful info in README.*

Thu Nov 21 13:00:00 2002 Simon Matter
- added build time option for IDLED, thank you Roland Pope

SO ... that decision is upstream of RedHat as well (as to IDLED being
not enabled in the default build).  I can't find any reason why it is
that way, as far as negative issues are concerned.