[CentOS] RPMS's rebuilt or upstream one's used

Jim Smith jim_smith2006 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 21:15:31 UTC 2005

> > I needed to use the upstream versions of :-
> > - OpenOffice.org 2.0.1
>
> OpenOffice.org 2.0.1 is a bit of a pain to build
with
> the
> various dependencies.  If you really want leading
> edge, stick
> with Fedora Core/Extras.

I use OpenOffice.org 2.0.1 from openoffice.org. Their
rpm's (along with MySQL AB's) install fine on
CentOS/RHEL. The problem with Fedora's OpenOffice.org
2.0.1 SRPM is that although the SPEC file says RHEL 4
it demands things like  ant and other stuff which make
your box like a Fedora 4 one. You also need to tweak
the SPEC file.

I'm surprised that Tripwire/Chkrootkit and Rkhunter
are not in the CentOS Extras. They were originally in
the redhat powertools/main CD and are useful even now.
Most servers exposed to the  internet run the risk of
script kiddies catching them out before we've had a
chance to patch our boxes.

Ah yes something else i forgot about(which i build
from upstream) was the fedora-rpm tools, which allow
you to build rpm's as non-root.