[CentOS] LDAP Implementations (was: Linking against a specifi c Berkeley DB install)

Thu Dec 1 22:22:53 UTC 2005
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

From: Bryan J. Smith [mailto:thebs413 at earthlink.net]

> Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com> wrote:
> > It is an interesting choice.  It supports multi-master
> > replication which I will need and has some GUI management
> > utilities.
> > Anyone know of any problems with it?
>
> Only that many people on this list have been ignorant of what
> NsDS is in the past, even though it's in major use --
> especially before even the appearance of ADS in Windows 2000,
> let alone how well it does integrate it for ADS-to/from-NsDS
> synchronization.  I.e., NsDS can run on Windows too, and
> Fedora makes those binaries available.
>
> I don't know if I'd trust the FDS 1.0 "open source" version
> yet, as it's missing components last time I checked, but the
> FDS binaries?  100% NsDS 7.1 -- Linux, Windows, Solaris,
> etc...

I'm not resistant to changing programs.  We are in a testing mode now
and I have barely even started looking into how to configure
multi-master replication in OpenLDAP.

The showstopper at the moment is that FDS 1.0 does not currently
support x86_64, which is what our production servers will be running.

Bowie