[CentOS] packages

Thu Dec 1 16:57:59 UTC 2005
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 01/12/05, John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net> wrote:
> sorry for the newb questions, but I'm new to linux administration, and even
> newer to centOS.  I do have some experience with Gentoo Linux.
>
> How can I get a list of packages that are installed in my system?

[1]$ rpm -qa
[2]$ rpm -qa --last | tac

[1] will list all packages, and [2] all packages, sorted by installed
date with the most recent last.

> Is there an equivalent of merge -uDvt world? (This updates the installed
> packages with latest releases)

Look into yum for providing updates.

[1]# yum check-update
[2]# yum -y update

[1] lists updated packages that would apply to your system and then
[2] would install them.

> Is there an equivalent of portage in centOS? (The portage site lists all
> available packages for Gentoo by 'category').

yum group-list perhaps?

Read up on RPM and Yum. RPM is the base package management for RH-like
systems and Yum sort of a pull/delivery mechanism that resolves
dependencies.

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ should have more than you need to know about RPMs.

http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=8  and
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/ explains more about Yum.