[CentOS] packages

Thu Dec 1 17:05:16 UTC 2005

John Dangler wrote:
> sorry for the newb questions, but I'm new to linux administration, and even
> newer to centOS.  I do have some experience with Gentoo Linux.
>
> How can I get a list of packages that are installed in my system?
> Is there an equivalent of merge -uDvt world? (This updates the installed
> packages with latest releases)
> Is there an equivalent of portage in centOS? (The portage site lists all
> available packages for Gentoo by 'category').

CentOS uses the yum package manager. Some baic information to get you
started is on the man pages at 'man yum' and 'man yum.conf'. Beyond that
now would be a good time to read through "Managing Software with yum",
an excellent guide on how to manage packages and keep your system updated.

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/yum/

- K