[CentOS] Re: centos] Installation failure

Tue Dec 6 17:02:08 UTC 2005
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Matt Lawrence wrote:

> On 12/5/05, rado <rado at rivers-bend.com> wrote:

> The Soekris net4801 is a really nifty device for embedded use, but it
> can be a pain to do thsi sort of debugging on since it only has a
> serial port for a console.

> After reading the tiny-centos web page, I'm trying to build a truly
> minimal installation.  I have deselcted almost every default package

> Yes, I'm doing strange and terrible things to anaconda.  I'm a geek.

smile -- Didn't I help you in the IRC channel a while back?

As the author of that 'tiny-centos' page, and a long time
anaconda and kickstart hacker, the thought comes to mind;

The _reason_ I did my reduction work in the %post stanza, was
that mucking with ks/anaconda during proof of concept/
development is too much buck for not enough bang;  reverse it
to a high bang/buck ratio using %post to get a clean
packagelist, and _then_ muck with ks/anaconda.

Better still, then write a minimal custom fdisk/mkfs/busybox,
and rsync/rpm/yum tool and grub-install tool, a la cAos'
'cinch' installer, and cut even more cruft away for embedded
work.

-- Russ Herrold