[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Wed Dec 7 19:54:25 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>
>>Can we stop Trolling here ?
>>Rodrigo, how many DLT tapes do you think he needs to backup
>>the 40gig HDD he has in there ?
>

> As I mentioned before, LTO is faster and cheaper these days.
>
> And if you're going to spend $2+K on a backup drive, you
> might as well go for the gold and spend $3-4K to get a new
> LTO-3 that holds 400GB natively, and backs up at a 80MBps
> rate (double each for typical 2:1 hardware compression).

hi Bryan,

the target data is only 40 GB, not 400 GB. There might be an upgrade
down the road - but aparently, the system has access to only a single 40
gig drive.

I seriously doubt that given the circumstances, there is even an option
to spend the $2K+ on a backup drive.

- K